“… He’s playing a game that no-one can win unless they cheat.”
“We have to cheat!!”
… and that summons up a memory, of their chance midnight encounter a sovereign moon past: how he’d dangled that tender hunk of flesh just in front of her face, rich glaze of soft cheese and herbs unable to truly mask what it was, though who shall ever be a mystery to her. Had that been Osytha’s sole interaction with Taani? Indirect as it was, and though she hadn’t realised it at the time. But, whoever cooked it up, it had been Rois who took that morsel and proffered it forward, goading her from beneath his half-lidded eyes:
“… could you lower yourself to the level of the people you are supposedly sworn to protect… or are you too proud, knight?”
No; Osytha had not been too proud. She hadn’t quite been able to tell what sort of line was crossed from biting down on that perfectly-seasoned meat, which the other grim deeds to her name have not already gone well beyond. So, bite she had. Made sure to hold it long enough to properly taste, that the understanding could really sink in. Only then did she let herself swallow it down.
Rois had not expected that reaction. But it had opened something up between them, she feels like.
The sight of Alaera’s hand in hers momentarily captivates Osytha, as Feliene’s also had before. Alas, she is afforded little time to fully appreciate such a gift — the twins are leading, leading, leading her down to the foyer, so Filly sets her eyes on where they’re going instead, lest she take a tumble in her distraction. Wouldn’t that be one for the reports: Syr Osytha of Dusk, and her neck, claimed by her oath when she fell afoul of some stairs. No thanks. She’s in no hurry to meet her maker, for one thing. And she reckons she can do a lot better than that when the day does come, for the other. So she just focuses on letting the twins tow her along for whatever scheme they have cooking up. “We have to cheat!!”
Has that been her mistake, here?
“I guess a part of Rois might enjoy that,” muses Osytha. “If I, sort of, got down from my high horse for a bit…”
If I fell, in other words. If I broke my morals and went against what I stood for. More than that. If I had to truly, thoroughly, dirty my hands with the kind of filth that no good deed can wash away. Sooner or later… will you want me to pay that price, Rois?
Whatever. For the time being, Osytha has given up the reins to the twins entirely. It still feels wrong, but therein lies the rub, doesn’t it? The rules of ‘normal’ don’t really apply here in Sinclair’s Meat Market. Trying to do what’s right hasn’t really earned her much thus far.
So, that's how she ends up standing before Rois’ bedroom. That’s how she discovers the man is a messy sleeper (though no surprises there), glimpsing his prone, drooling form in monogrammed sleepwear (again — hardly a revelation) before Fel and ’Era shut the door on their antics. And that’s how, with the twins’ shock assault on Mr Crocodile still clamouring in her ears, Osytha abruptly finds herself staring perplexedly down the length of an accusing black talon.
“— You.”
Her gaze slides up past that digit, past the ostentatious silk gown, into Rois’ sanguine glare.
“Er…”
“Us, actually! You’ve been really mean and we don’t like it.”
“Yeah, we shouldn’t be horrible to guests…”
“Well, I don’t, um, know I’d go so far as to say ‘horrible’…”
“So, we decided we’re going to hold allll your cigarettes hostage until you’re nice to syr Osytha.”
“You can’t do that! You know I need those?!”
“… except when he got a bit— a bit handsy for a second there, that wasn’t very nice…”
“Well, this is what happens when you’re being horrible.”
“I wasn’t being horrible!!”
“… and I know the colour’s not great on me, but calling it ‘ugly’ did kind of hurt…”
“Actually, Safya told us you were!”
“That bi…rdddddd.”
“… I do feel ‘animated as a corpse’ was uncalled for…”
“We’ll let you smoke… If you give syr Osytha a hug and say you’re sorry.”
“… even if it don’t mean as much as you think it does, where I’m from— ee, what now?”
Osytha blinks up at Rois. The man is standing there like an again-walker frozen in mid-lurch; those outstretched arms seeming more a threat than anything else. And, yes — oddly enough without his head wraps. That alarms her for a second, until she realises no one else seems to be at all concerned. No, what’s truly alarming are the next couple words to emerge from Sinclair’s mouth.
“Come here.”
She looks at the twins. She looks back to Rois. Did she actually hear that right? A hug?
… fuck it. Why not?
Filly rolls up her sleeves for dramatic effect. “Let it be known: I did not ask for this,” she declares… before a big, evil smile lights up her face, “but by gum, I en’t about to complain neither.
“Let’s make it a good one, aye? We don’t want to disappoint your girls now.”
Burgundy-sleeved arms flung wide, her silhouette dwarfed against the hulking beast in open scarlet silk — Osytha steps forward to meet her fate. Enthusiastically, and with a nice, snug, face-squished-right-to-his-chest proper hug.
Last edited: